****** State of the Tank Container Market 2018 ******
A recent publication of the International Tank Container Organisation (ITCO) and the Shanghai Maritime University describes the state of the global tank container industry in 2017. The Global Tank Container Survey is a result of research under 205 tank container operators, 36 leasing companies and several industry experts.
We broke down the key figures and created an infographic for a total overview of the state of the tank container industry at the beginning of this year.
- The Global Tank Container Survey 2017 indicates that there were 508,000 TANKS at the beginning of 2017.
- The total of 44,450 units manufactured in 2016 contributed to 8.5% annual growth.
- An estimated 12-15% of the tank containers might be idle because they are in the process of preparation such as maintenance and testing or in the process of being repositioned.
- The top ten operators account for over 175,000 tanks representing 51% of the global operators fleet.
- The top ten lessors account for 185,943 tanks, about 86% of the total leasing fleet.
- Tank operators dominate tank use, the trend for shippers to outsource logistics continues.
- In 2016, all the manufacturers in the world produced 44,450 new tank containers.
- Top five tank container manufacturers are CIMC, Welfit Oddy, NT Tank, Singamas and CXIC.
- Tank Container manufacturing is concentrated in China.
- The majority of production is of the industry standard tank range but nevertheless there is a very active and growing specialized tank sector.
- The estimated 2017 growth, compared with 2016 is around 8.5%.
Data source: International Tank Container Organisation (ITCO) Global Tank Container Survey 2017
Studied by Prof. Bingliang SONG
Shanghai Maritime University, China
Original publication: ITCO 2017 Global Tank Container Fleet Survey
ITCO website: https://www.international-tank-container.org/